My family and I recently came from a trip to Tagaytay. It was a last-minute getaway. I just packed the morning before leaving! Thankfully, we still got a room at Taal Vista Hotel. Even so, family getaways always excite me.
When they were still babies, though, excursions like this need a list first of all. Impromptu ones? A no-no! I would have preferred to stay home than lug the whole nursery to the beach. Think of all the onesies, diapers, burp cloths, towels, bottles, bottle sterilizer, the bottle brush, the nipple brush, the cleanser, the baby wash, the baby lotion, etc.
Now that my youngest is almost five, the second is six and the eldest is nine, I look forward to family outings.
I believe there are advantages of traveling with children 4 to 9 years old.
- They are old enough to walk. Long walks and not asked to be carried all the time. We don’t even bring a stroller anymore!
- They are old enough to remember these family adventures.
- They are old enough to drink ordinary milk. We don’t need to bring formula anymore.
- They are willing to try new or different cuisines.
- For my girls, they have not hit puberty yet, thus, there’s no threat of getting period on the trip. There’s also no need to bring brassieres for them yet.
- Their things and clothes are kid-sized that do not yet take up too much luggage space.
- The three of them use just one kind of kiddy toothpaste. And a head-to-toe body wash would still do. It makes packing easier.
- Two of them get free hotel breakfasts or buffet meals and we pay half price for one.
- We could all still fit in one hotel room. We would opt for a room with two double-size beds or a king plus a single.
- They get discounted tickets to attractions or exhibits.
These are ten of the things I like when traveling with children 4 to 9 years old. Do you have anything to add?
Going to places with the kids is one way of making memories during their childhood that they will gladly look back on. It’s time together as a family that everyone can cherish.